In this post, I will be explaining how to send bulk SMS. Lots of people are conversant with this process already, but I keep receiving calls from people asking me to teach them how to send bulk SMS or asking me to send bulk SMS for them. This motivation is what lead me to write this post. Therefore this post will serve as a tutorial to teach anybody on how to send bulk SMS. The gurus in the house might also learn one or two tips from it.
What is bulk SMS.
According to Wikipedia, Bulk SMS is the dissemination of large numbers of SMS messages for delivery to mobile phone terminals. It is used by media companies, enterprises, banks (for marketing and fraud control) and consumer brands for a variety of purposes including entertainment, enterprise and mobile marketing. In a lay man’s language, Bulk SMS is basically sending SMS to a large group of phone numbers at the same time.
Who needs to send bulk SMS.
Everybody one way or the other will need to send bulk SMS one day therefore this knowledge is very important. Imagine you are about to wed and you need to send SMS invitations to all your friends or there is a new product or service which you are offering that you need to market through SMS campaign. Sending the SMS through your phone one after the other would be so boring and tiring so therefore the best approach will the use of a bulk SMS platform that will enable you send the SMS easily with just one click.
The first thing you need to do in sending bulk SMS to a large number of contacts, is to get the phone numbers that you will be sending the text to ready. You can do that by typing the numbers out on a plain word processing software. Each numbers could be typed on one number per line or separated with a comma. I usually recommend typing with notepad software because it comes with almost every system and it’s easy to use. I also recommend typing each number on a separate line because with that you can easily get the total number of numbers you will be sending your SMS to.
Your bulk SMS can be sent conveniently with any internet enable device either a mobile phone, tablet, or laptop but in most cases I always prefer working from my laptop.
The next step is to get a reliable SMS portal to use in sending your SMS. We recommend SMSkernel for this and so we will be using it as a case study for this tutorial.
With all these things ready, we can now move to the main steps on how to send bulk SMS comfortably from the comfort of your phone.
- Take your mobile device or laptop and make sure your internet is enable and running.
- Open your browser and type in the Url smskernel.com and allow it to load.
- Once the site open, you will see a place to either login or Register. If you already have an account with them, you can login to your account, if you don’t, you will need to register first of all.
Registration doesn’t not take time you just need to fill in the following information found in the pic below.
- After Registration you can now login with the details that you used in Registration. Since you are new to the site, you will be expected to update your phone number and date of birth. This is just to help them in contacting you in case of emergency.
- After that you can click on compose SMS on the SMS menu at the side bar or click on the SMS Menu on the main menu bar.
- In the Sender Id field, you can type in the name that you want to appear when the message is being sent. It could be your company name or even your name. N/B: Any sender Id that you are choosing should not be more than 11 characters including space.
- In the destination numbers, you can just copy those numbers that you typed out and paste it in the recipients field.
- Then you type your message and click on Send. The messages gets delivered instantly to all the mobile numbers that was inputted.
- You could also schedule your messages to deliver at a later date. I will soon be doing a special post on scheduling of SMS.
These are basically the tips on how to send bulk SMS easily. I will also like to mention that before you can send bulk SMS from your account, you should be sure that you do have enough SMS units to use in sending the SMS. If your SMS units is low, you will need to buy it before sending the SMS.
Also in sending SMS there are some words you should avoid such as MTN, promo, etc to avoid the networks taking your message as spam. Once they feel your message is spam, it won’t be delivered to your clients.
If you have any question or tips regarding how to send bulk SMS, you can let us know through the comment box below and be sure to get a reply from us.